This year Gold, Silver and Bronze APEX Awards were presented to winners in ten categories, from a field of 78 entrants as well as 22 Content Awards were presented to winners in four categories in each Non-Interactive and Interactive sections from a field of almost 100 entrants. Here are the Canadian-flavoured winners:
- Sony of Canada Ltd. won Bronze in the Art, Entertainment, Recreation category for The Sony Centre for the Performing Arts in Toronto (pictured below).
- Arsenal Media won an APEX award in the the Business, Industry & Government category and a content award in the Informational/ Directional (non-interactive) category for there install at The Nielsen Co. headquarters in Wilton, Connecticut. Here's a video:
- The Bell Ice Cube, an audio/video and interactive installation at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, won Gold in the Public Spaces category. The interactive design was created by Jigsaw Interaction Design and powered by Scala software. Get the 411 here. A picture and two videos describing the experience below.
Bell Ice Cube - Samsung Omnia 2 video wall from Shaun Mavronicolas on Vimeo.
Bell Ice Cube - "Smart Cubes" from Shaun Mavronicolas on Vimeo.
- St. Joseph Content won Silver in the Retail category for their content work for Bell's stores.
- Gold in the Transporation category went to Destination Shuttle Service that chose Omnivex's Moxie digital signage platform to implement passenger messaging on airport shuttle buses at LAX, called Shuttle Smart.
- The content award in the Educational (interactive) category went to an Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. campaign. The OLG digital media team was tasked by their charity bingo division to create the short spot below. It is being shown on screens around their two corporate offices, on back of house screens at their 24 gaming facilities, and on the corporate screen savers on every OLG computer. The bingo division wanted to use this campaign to raise awareness on how its presence has benefitted Ontario charities. This seems to be the campaign that won but I'm not sure how its interactive.
- Arsenal Media picked up another Silver Content award in the Entertainment/Experiential (Interactive) category for their Shop-or-Play Interactive Station developed to help demonstrate the possibilities for Christie’s modular MicroTiles displays. The interactive display included WatchMatch, which let shoppers look for timepieces, and Viv-O-Ball, a gesture-based pinball game with a massive 2,880 by 2,700 pixel gaming surface. Here's a video:
Case Study: Shop-or-Play Interactive Station (SPIS) Étude de cas: Station interactive «Shop-or-Play» from ARSENAL MEDIA_DEMO ZONE on Vimeo.
- X20 Media was awarded a Bronze Content award in the Interactive Informational/Directional category for their work at the Fredericton Convention Center (FCC), in the City of Fredericton, New Brunswick. Driven by Xpresenter, the FCC’s touch-screen system enables guests to access information about scheduled events, facilities, and amenities via any of the strategically located and vertically oriented 46-inch digital HD displays. Upon choosing their preference of English or French, guests are given a variety of options. They can go to a list of their organization’s meetings, times, and locations. By clicking on a meeting, they can use the wayfinder feature to view the best path to their desired location, while exploring available amenities along the way.
Here's tje complete list of winners for both the APEX Awards and the Content Awards:
Art, Entertainment, Recreation
GOLD - The Museum of Brazil’s Sport Club Internacional (Inter), nominated by C-nario, EAV - Engenharia Audiovisual & Firefox Com
SILVER - Israeli Pavilion in Expo 2010 China, nominated by C-nario & Disk-In Pro
BRONZE - The Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, nominated by Sony of Canada Ltd.
Business, Industry & Government
GOLD - The Nielsen Co., nominated by Arsenal Media
SILVER - NASDAQ, nominated by Cisco
BRONZE - Amway Brand Center, nominated by DT Research Inc. & 3Wired Sdn Bhd
Education & Healthcare
GOLD - TENQ, nominated by Scala
SILVER - Texas State Technical College, nominated by Scala
BRONZE - West Texas A&M University, nominated by Cisco
GOLD - New Meadowlands, nominated by Cisco
SILVER- Squash Showdown, nominated by Aerva Inc.
BRONZE - Amway Center Arena, nominated by Harris Corp.
Food & Beverage
GOLD - 4 Food, nominated by Scala
SILVER - Toscanini's, nominated by LocaModa Inc.
BRONZE - Playmixes, nominated by Aerva Inc.
GOLD - Swan & Dolphin Resort, nominated by Xpodigital
SILVER - JW Marriott Marquis Miami, nominated by Cisco
BRONZE - Northern Quest Resort & Casino, nominated by Business - Marketing/Communications (BMC)
GOLD - Bell Ice Cube, nominated by Scala & Jigsaw Interaction Design
SILVER - Vans, nominated by LocaModa Inc.
BRONZE - Thomson Reuters, nominated by Wireless Ronin Technologies
GOLD - Camelback Toyota, nominated by Scala
SILVER - Bell, nominated by St. Joseph Content
BRONZE - Infiniti, nominated by Scala & Soft Audiovisuel
GOLD - Destination Shuttle Services, nominated by Omnivex
SILVER - Ad Airport Media & Clear Channel Interspace Airports, nominated by Scala & Gnosysoft
BRONZE - Tallink Silja Ferries, nominated by ONELAN LTD.
GOLD - Intel End Cap Concept, nominated by Intel Corp.
SILVER - adidas Virtual Footwear Concept, nominated by Intel Corp.
BRONZE - Digital City Media Group LLC, nominated by Wireless Ronin Technologies
Content - Non-interactive
GOLD- Two West Inc. for content created for the Sprint Studio
SILVER- Sony’s Convergent Media Systems for content created for Cox Communications
BRONZE - WAND Corp. for content created for the Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corp.
GOLD - Saddle Ranch Productions, nominated by CARE Media Holdings for content created for PetCARE TV
SILVER- MediVista Media/Everwell for content created for the Everwell Network
BRONZE - SABEResPODER for content created for the SABEResPODER Network
GOLD- Jones Digital Media for content created for the TargetCast Network
SILVER - Best Buy, nominated by Reflect Systems for content created for Best Buy On
BRONZE - Digital-Itch, nominated by Business-Marketing/Communications (BMC) for content created for the Northern Quest Resort Hotel
GOLD - Arsenal Media for content created for The Nielsen Co.
SILVER - Luckeyou Design Inc. for content created for the Norwegian Cruise Line
BRONZE - ARAMARK, nominated by Wireless Ronin Technologies for content created for Topio’s Restaurant
Content - Interactive
GOLD - Zenith Media & Inwindow Outdoor for content created for 20th Century Fox/20th Century Fox Home Entertainment’s “Avatar”
SILVER - Pearl Media LLC for content created for Perrier
BRONZE - LocaModa for content created for Vans
GOLD - Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. for content created for LEEDS Certification
GOLD – Zoom Media & Marketing for content created for Zoom’s “Sports Bytes” Program
SILVER- Arsenal Media for content created for the Shop-or-Play Interactive Station
BRONZE - Insteo for content created for Shark’s Cove Sports Bar & Restaurant
GOLD - Arsenal Media for content created for The Nielsen Co. MicroTile Wall
SILVER - Thomson Reuters, nominated by Wireless Ronin Technologies for content created for the Reuters Insider Network
BRONZE - X2O Media for content created for the Fredericton Convention Center